Although the visible signs of aging are inevitable, there are a variety of habits and lifestyle changes that can accelerate or slow the aging process. In some instances, you can rejuvenate your skin and reverse face aging. While fine lines, wrinkles, and skin laxity are often the first thing that comes to mind—aging starts on the inside. So, you must think beyond your topical layer of skin.
What Is Aging?
Aging refers to the biological process that impacts cellular function. Cellular function is at its peak prior to the age of 25. After the age of 25, cellular function slows.
- Cells become larger, making it less difficult to divide and multiply, which is how your body heals and repairs.
- The number of lipids in your cells also multiply, further disrupting cellular function. Cell membranes change, hindering the delivery of oxygen and nutrients to your cells.
- With less oxygen and nutrients, the body fails to efficiently expel carbon dioxide and toxins.
All the tissues in the body are made up of cells, so as aging accelerates, you begin to see and feel the difference.
The 4 types of tissues in the body are:
- Fascia—this is the connective tissue that holds everything together and gives your body shape by wrapping around and binding bones, organs, lymph tissues, and skin.
- Epithelial tissue—this is the deep layers underneath the skin. It’s also the tissue lining of many organs.
- Muscles—we have 3 primary types of muscles, the muscles that activate our organs (smooth muscles), the muscles that make up the heart (cardiac muscles), and self-activated skeletal muscles (striated/voluntary muscles) that provide muscle mass.
- Nerve tissue—these cells are the neurons that carry messages from one part of the body to the next. For example, sending a pain signal from stubbing your toe from your toe to your brain.
Is It Possible to Age Prematurely?
Absolutely! Before we dive in to how to slow the aging process, let’s look at what accelerates aging. We’ve all met people who look younger than their chronological age and those who look older. This is due to factors such as their individual genetics, environment, lifestyle, and habits.
- Genetics—take a look at your family for clues to how you may age. However, genetic factors can skip generations, so look beyond your parents.
- Sun exposure—excessive UV exposure without broad-spectrum sunscreen damages collagen fibers, accelerating visible lines and wrinkles.
- Cigarettes—the only thing that visibly ages you faster than the sun is smoking. This includes second-hand smoke. Not to mention the increased risk of cancer and chronic disease.
- Alcohol—excessive alcohol consumption ages you in a similar manner to the sun. It slows collagen and elastin production and increases inflammation in the body.
- Nutrition—sugar damages collagen and chemically derived ingredients present a variety of health risks. Whole foods are required for antioxidants that help your body self-cleanse and repair. Water is also essential, drink approximately half your body weight in water per day.
- Environment—factors such as chronic stress, chronic sleep deprivation, local pollution, and illness can accelerate aging. This includes an overall decrease in immunity.
Is There a Way To Slow Down Aging?
Yes! There are ways to slow down aging, and possibly reverse aging. The body is miraculous and designed to heal and repair itself. If you give it more of what it needs to heal and repair, and less of what contributes to accelerated damage—you can slow down aging.
#1 Eat a Whole Foods Diet
One of the many reasons to keep processed foods to a minimum, is because whole foods contain essential vitamins and minerals. These nutrients provide your body with the antioxidants required to promote homeostasis, your body’s natural internal balance. They also increase the rate at which toxins are expelled from your body.
Processed foods contribute to a lengthy list of health problems, including increased internal inflammation. Although you can’t see internal inflammation, you can feel its negative effects. If your body is constantly fighting inflammation, antiaging falls to the wayside.
#2 Personalized Supplementation
It’s challenging to obtain all the nutrients your body requires from food alone. Also, nutrition and dietary supplements should be personalized to your individual needs. While we’re all familiar with the Food Pyramid, nutritional needs vary from one season of life to the next and from one person to the next.
Personalizing your supplementation isn’t something you should do alone. While there are always trending herbs and supplements, what you need to support your body is unique to you. It will also evolve as you age and your lifestyle changes. You’ll require a different nutrient mix when you’re growing, pregnant, in menopause, training hard athletically, and other health and wellness factors.
Valley Medical Weight Loss and Med Spa offers a premium range of supplements to support your whole-body health. We work with you to determine the ideal supplement mix. This includes at-home capsules and in-office wellness injections.
#3 Sit Less
Sitting less isn’t likely the first thing that comes to mind when you think of ways to reverse face aging or slow down whole-body aging. However, you may have heard it said that “sitting is the new smoking”. As over the top as it sounds, it’s not far from the truth. Your body is designed to move, but modern lifestyles are increasingly sedentary.
- 147% increased risk for stroke and heart attacks.
- 112% increased risk for diabetes.
- 90% increased risk for death by cardiovascular events.
- 49% increased risk for death from any cause.
Why the increased risks above?
When you sit for extended periods of time, blood doesn’t flow properly throughout the body. This causes fatty acids to build up in blood vessels, creating an increased risk of heart disease. Extended sitting also increases the risk of insulin resistance, blood clots, and your body’s ability to metabolize fat. If your body can’t metabolize fat properly, the fat gets stored instead—leading to weight gain. Over time, this weight gain can lead to an increased risk of numerous health problems. This includes the alarming statistics above.
#4 Exercise Regularly
In addition to standing and moving more during the day, you should aim for at least 150 minutes of heart-pumping activity per week. This should include at least 120 minutes of strength training. Exercise and general physical activity aren’t just for weight loss and weight maintenance, as both are essential for your whole-body health. Also, for slowing the aging process.
Exercise activates a variety of functions in the body. This includes supercharging your circulation. As your heart rate increases, your circulation increases. This transports restorative oxygen and antioxidants throughout the body. Antiaging is one of many benefits of regular exercise.
#5 Support Your Skin
Your approach to reversing face aging should be both proactive and reactive. It begins with developing a daily skincare routine that you personalize as your skincare needs change and evolve.
Some of the most effective ways of slowing the aging process and rejuvenating your skin include:
Creating a Personalized Daily Skincare Routine
The core 5 step skincare routine is below. Ensure that all products are noncomedogenic and designed for the face.
- Wash and exfoliate—wash your face every morning and evening and exfoliate 1 to 3 times per week.
- Alcohol-free toner—facial cleansers can strip your skin’s moisture layer. While toner may not look or feel like much, it rebalances your skin.
- Anti-aging serum—it’s never too early to begin using serums but start no later than your mid-30s or as soon as you notice the first visible signs of aging.
- Moisturizer—while serum nourishes your skin, moisturizer hydrates. Moisturizer also has antioxidants, but its primary role is to hydrate.
- Apply protective skincare—this includes barrier cream, broad-spectrum UV sunscreen, makeup with sunscreen, and products to address individual skincare issues.
Anti-Aging Skincare Products
In addition to the skincare routine above, you’ll need to adjust and evolve your skincare products. For example, you may shift to a lightweight moisturizer in the spring and summer and a heavier cream in the fall and winter. As your first fine lines set in, you may consider upgrading to products with vitamin C and retinol.
The options in skincare products can be overwhelming, so ask your aesthetician or dermatologist to help determine what’s right for you.
Med Spa Skin Rejuvenation
One of the fastest and most effective ways to reverse face and body aging is to explore your med spa options. Valley Medical Weight Loss and Med Spa offers a range of non-invasive and minimally-invasive skincare treatments. Our anti-aging skincare treatments are based on scientifically proven technology to support your aesthetic objectives.
From smoothing to lifting, tightening, plumping, contouring, minimizing scars, improving the overall quality of your skin, and more!
Want to Learn More About Med Spa Skin Rejuvenation?
The easiest way to determine how to rejuvenate your skin is to schedule a consultation. This is your time to discuss your individual skincare objectives. Then we’ll advise on the best treatment or combination of treatments to reverse face aging and slow down future aging. Yes, we have whole body treatments too!
Reach out today to learn more!