What Questions Should You Be Asking Your Weight Loss Doctor
A trip to the doctor’s office can feel intimidating, regardless of the reason. However, having a list of questions ready to ask your weight loss doctor can both make you a more involved part of the process, while also ensuring that all your concerns are covered.
Weight Loss Questions to Ask
- What is My Healthy Goal Weight?The popularity of the body mass index, or BMI, has grown significantly as a way to calculate body fat and estimate a healthy weight. However, the method ultimately provides only a generalized estimate. A weight loss doctor can use more accurate methods to determine a healthy goal weight based off your specific individual body type.
- How Has My Weight Impacted My Health?Obesity is a contributing factor to an ever growing list of diseases ranging from diabetes to cancer. Understanding how your weight has impacted your health not only helps motivate change, but it also allows for a diet and exercise routine to directly reflect your unique health concerns.
- How Many Calories?Weight loss depends on creating a calorie deficit by burning more calories than you take in. Eating too many calories may prevent a deficit while too low a calorie goal may negatively impact your metabolism. Your doctor will help calculate the right balance for ultimate calorie burning efficiency.
- What Types of Exercise and How Often?Your diet is only part of a healthy weight loss plan, with exercise making up the second largest portion. Talk to your doctor about not only how often you need to exercise, but what types of exercises, how to perform them safely and at what intensity level.
- What Options Do I Have Outside of Diet and Exercise?Many weight loss doctors provide additional services to aid in your weight loss. Talk to your doctor and determine what additional options and services are available to help you reach your goals.
Now that you have your list of questions, simply start filling out a new patient form to get started!
Image by : artur84