Just like watermelon is the quintessential fruit of summer, zucchini seems to be the vegetable mascot. You see the summer squash everywhere, and sometimes it can be difficult to come up with new ideas for it, but because zucchini has such a mild flavor, the possibilities really are endless.
These zucchini boats are low in calories and carbohydrates (300 calories and 10 grams of carbohydrates per serving), yet high in protein (24 grams per serving). They’re simple to make and even simpler to adapt to your tastes. This recipe, which serves 4, will get you started, but you can add beans or any other vegetables of your choice.
What You Need:
- 2 medium zucchini
- 3/4 pound lean ground beef
- 1 small white onion, diced
- 1/2 cup diced red pepper
- 1/2 cup diced green pepper
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
What To Do:
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cut the ends off zucchini and cut each zucchini in half lengthwise.
- Use a teaspoon to scoop out the insides of the zucchini halves, leaving a shell or “boat”.
- Finely chop the zucchini insides and transfer to a skillet, along with beef, onion, peppers, and garlic. Cook over medium heat until beef is no longer pink.
- Remove from heat and add remaining ingredients. Mix well.
- Spoon mixture into zucchini shells and place in a 9×13 inch baking dish.
- Bake, uncovered, for 30 minutes, or until zucchini is tender, but not mushy.