Healthy Recipe: Strawberry Fields Mason Jar Salad
When the temperatures start hitting those triple digits, the last thing you want to do is cook. But even though the thought of turning your oven or stove on makes you cringe, you still gotta eat right? Enter Mason Jar Salads.
Mason Jar Salads are a summer staple for several reasons. First and foremost, they don’t require any cooking. Another priceless benefit is that you can prepare them in advance, so you have a week’s worth of healthy meals at your fingertips without much effort.
This Strawberry Fields Mason Jar Salads uses fresh strawberries (cause we’re all about that seasonal fruit), but you can make it your own by adding whatever fruit and toppings that you want. Just make sure to follow one rule: Always put the dressing on the bottom and your lettuce or greens at the top. That way, the salad won’t get soggy and all you have to do is shake it up when you’re ready to eat it.
Strawberry Fields Mason Jar Salad
What You Need:
- 12 tablespoons Cilantro Lime Dressing (see recipe below)
- 6 tablespoons chopped walnuts
- 6 tablespoons minced red onion
- 1 1/2 cups chopped cucumber
- 6 tablespoons chopped avocado
- 6 tablespoons crumbled feta cheese
- 12 large strawberries, chopped
- 6 cups chopped spinach
What To Do:
- Scoop 2 tablespoons of dressing into the bottom of six Mason jars.
- Layer each jar with 1 tablespoon walnuts, 1 tablespoon red onion, 1/4 cup cucumber, 1 tablespoon avocado, 1 tablespoon feta cheese, and 2 chopped strawberries.
- Top each jar with 1 cup chopped spinach.
- Cover each jar and store in refrigerator for up to 1 week. When ready to eat, shake jar vigorously with lid in place until ingredients are combined and coated with dressing.
Cilantro Lime Dressing
- 3/4 cup avocado oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 small jalapeño, seeded (optional)
Add all ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth.
By Jodi Jaffe
June 30, 2018